As you know rigging is one of the hardest part of the animation. Character Generator helps you to rig a humanoid character automatic, easy and very fast. Creating a rig with standard skeletal and naming will able you to share created animations between characters. Creating each links, expressions, IKs, etc. are automatic.
Load PSL: Lets you load a PSL file from disk.
Load Bitmap: Lets you load a PSL file from disk.
Link: Activates link tool.
Unlink: Unlinks selected objects.
Align: Opens align dialog option.
Pivot: Activates Pivot mode.
Spline: Lets you create spline by clicking on viewport.
Controller: Lets you create simple shape controller by clicking on viewport.
Skin: select a part of spline and object(s) that you want be skinned and hit this button.
Delete Skin: Deletes skin from selected object(s)
How to rig a character:
- Load PSL file (created by using Photoshop exporter).
- Scale all objects to standard size. For doing this, use a scale sheet or load a created asset and fit objects on it.
- Choose what parts of character you want to be include in autorig by checking or unchecking specified chekboxes.
- Move pivot points in true position. (You do not need this step if you did this in Photoshop before export.)
- Pick all parts of the character by using pick buttons.
- Pick group of objects (groups created in Photoshop) pups up a dialog for creating targets. This targets will use for animating parts like eyes, mouth, hands, etc.
- Check skin boxes from Auto Skin section if you want to skin parts automatically.
- Write a name for character. Name must be unique.
- Select a category (create if list is empty).
- Render a thumbnail.
- Click generate button.
- Now, your rig is ready. Just move or rotate and test all targets. If rig is not what you want, Hit Undo Generate and rig it again.
- Create spline and skin parts like tail, mustache, eyebrows and each parts that you want to be deform like a spline.
- Check all splines and controllers are linked to character.
- If you think that rig is ready for use in production, just save it in by using save button.
Photoshop Exporter (PSL)